Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Web/Video Conferencing Case Studies

I'm pretty excited about the most recent classroom technology tool I've learned about. And first of all, I should clarify that there IS a difference between web conferencing and video conferencing. i am kind of using them to mean the same thing here but if you'd like to know more about what distinguishes the two, i'll leave you too google to your heart's content :)



looking good, webcam man. i find it hard to believe he's on a work call with eyebrow acrobatics like that though....

this semester i have been trying to incorporate more case studies into my teaching and learning activities. since my students are tested using case studies, it only makes sense to give them practice with them. however, it has been incredibly hard to FIND good case studies! so with this technology in mind, I'm working to set up a real-world case study for my students where they can video(web) conference into a classroom, "meet" the teacher, hear about his/her problems, take a look at the classroom setup, and maybe even see the kids (with signed permission forms??). Then they would practice writing recommendations for the teacher/classroom based on whatever topics we're discussing.

It will be a lot to plan, but I have at least one teacher on board willing to try, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

4 comments:

  1. Have you looked into the National Case Studies website? It's hosted by the University of Buffalo, and I've used it for my classes. There are tons of case studies in all fields!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought about the difference between web and video conferencing. But yes, I guess there is! We have AmeriCorps webinars fairly often (no video, just screen shots). I think your idea of video conferencing with classrooms is awesome! If you'd like to be connected with any KY classrooms, let me know and I'm sure we can help find some for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific ideas - glad you are thinking about the need to get permission. Just because the technology is available does not mean we are free to take advantage of it without considering laws and policies, especially when it comes to children.

    Have you thought about having your students write the cases? Would that work for your purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed,Video conferencing meetings can be initiated from a desktop, conference room or on the road using Android based Phone or tabs or even IPad's and IPhones.

    ReplyDelete